We have access to a pool at our Mercer Island facility and there are many benefits to using the water for physical therapy. The bouyancy of water decreases the amount of weight one puts through joints and applies compression from the outside. With just these two properties of water, one can begin to bear weight through injured joints, and decrease inflamation.
Aquatic Therapy has been used for arthritic conditions, joint replacement and other orthopedic rehabilitation, sports injury rehabilitation, and low back pain. All of these, and more, can benefit from physical therapy in the water by decreasing the amount of stress through the joint.
Treatment in the water can include, but is not limited too:
- Range of motion exercises
- Core strengthening and stability
- Strength training
- Endurance training
- Gait training
There are so many benefits to being in the water for therapy:
- Increased temperature in therapy pools can help to decrease inflamation and increase circulation inside the body.
- The resistance applied by the water can change depeding on the depth of the water, so a treatment can be constantly varied to meet individuals needs
- Studies show that the copmbination of warm water and bouyancy can decrease sensitivity to pain
To experience the benefits of Aquatic Physical Therapy, please contact Advantage Physical Therapy at 425-883-9631.